Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Barcode Scan

NOTE: Barcode scan feature requires Barcode Scanner application (free and open source) to be installed on your handset. If you don’t have it already, you will be advised to do so.

Add item to shopping list by scanning a Barcode

To scan a barcode, open the Sidebar by tapping the button on the top-right and then tap the Barcode button. If you use barcode scan often, long-tapping the Barcode button will bring it to Toolbar on the top.

After barcode is scanned, Mighty Grocery checks if the item has been scanned previously. If not, the app sends request to online catalog of 1.3 million products and displays the result. Either the product was found or not, you can change product details and the name you would like to see on your shopping list to your convenience.

When you tap Done for the first time after successful product search, you will be suggested to Anonymously publish changes you make to product details.

Scan multiple items for future use

If you would like to scan multiple barcodes for future use, it is advised to scan barcodes in My Picks section. Just go to Menu –> Settings –> Pick list –> My picks and add items as you would in shopping list.

Assign Barcode to existing item

To change a Barcode assigned to an item, open Edit Item Details screen and tap Barcode button to scan a new barcode you want to assign to the item. The new scanned barcode will replace the existing one.

This way you can assign barcodes to items you already have on your shopping lists.

Associate price with a barcode

Though barcode record in Mighty Grocery does not keep price information, it is possible to use price information from items in your application.

To do so, the barcode needs to be assigned to item or product as explained in “Add item to shopping list by scanning a Barcode” or “Assign Barcode to existing item” above.

Once you have the barcode assigned to an item, the app will reuse saved price information. Therefore the next time you scan this barcode in shopping list, a new item will be added with the price information from the product which barcode was assigned to.

Edit Product details for barcode

To change product name you see on Barcode Bar, tapping the Barcode Bar will open Barcode Edit screen which allows changing product details you would see on Barcode Bar.

Clean Barcode for item

To clean item from assigned barcode, open Edit Item Details screen and long-tap the Barcode bar.

Review scanned barcodes

Mighty Grocery keeps all scanned barcodes locally for your convenience. To review all barcodes scanned so far, open More –> Barcode Scans.

Publishing barcodes

You may also want to suggest better product name or add new products by publishing changes you make to product details. All changes are submitted Anonymously and becomes available to other users after review.

IMPORTANT: No changes will be published until you explicitly agree to publish changes you make to product details.

Q: Why Barcode Scan won’t find anything for me???

Well, most likely it’s because people in your area decided not to publish product details for use by others. Since barcode database is maintained voluntarily, the more people contribute the more chances you get to find what you are looking for. With the new convenient way to share product details in Mighty Grocery it might be a good time to start contributing.

122 Responses to Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Barcode Scan

1. Zaynab says:

The bar code scanner works great!!! I would love to be able to publish/share my lists with….like wish lists. Anything in the works? Thanks!

Hi Zaynab, thanks for your feedback. We may consider adding wish list in the future, but it may take a while before the feature is available. Thanks!

2. Christina says:

My barcode scanner doesn’t seem to be working. Everytime I try to scan an item it tells me that there is a network error. Could this be an issue with compatibility with my phone? I have the Droid Bionic.

Thanks

3. Kattia says:

Just bought the full version .. but should consider that the app include the option to enter the barcode manually, since it does not always work, although indicating that it is compatible with your phone model … a real disadvantage when compared to other programs scan bar codes. It’s a shame, because the Mighly Grosery is a very good and useful app.

4. Heather says:

I think it’d be great if a user could see the past history on a “per item” basis. For example, it’d be really nice to be able to see the different prices I’ve paid for milk in the past. Just a suggestion!

Heather, thank you for your feedback. Kindly note that you can see item price history by clicking Link button (upper-left side of Edit item screen) –> Show price history.

5. Ron says:

can I use goggle goggles for my scanner. If so, how?

Ron, unfortunately, no. Only Barcode scanner app is compatible with Mighty Grocery.

6. Doug says:

Please enable copy and paste from the Barcode section. Without it, this section is not useful.
    Thanks

Doug, thanks for your suggestion. Kindly note that Barcode section is for information purposes only. If you’d like to add product associated with your product to a shopping list, just use the Pick list, Favorites, or History. All barcodes scanned in shopping lists are stored in the app for future use.

7. jason729 says:

I’m tempted to buy a bluetooth laser scanner like the Motorola Symbol CS3070 bluetooth scanner or Microvision ROV. Using the camera works, but it’s not very good. The price is a little high but affordable. Are these laser scanners compatable with your software? As with Stan’s question, I have found third party software that will allow you to scan the number into a textbox field. This option seems like an foreseeable addition to the program that could happen now. Unless near field communications is closer to reality.

Hi there, thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, manual barcode entering is not allowed in Mighty Grocery therefore external bluetooth scanners are incompatible. However, we may allow entering barcodes in a text field shortly.

8. Tim says:

Would like to keep up with my clipped coupons. Scan new ones in and scan used ones out. ????

Hi Tim, thanks for your suggestion. We will consider this improvement as part of the planned enhancements to the Coupons feature.

9. Lainey says:

I can’t seem to add my scanned item to my shopping list. I see the item listed under scanned barcodes but I can’t find it in my products and when I search nothing comes up. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Lainey, thanks for your question. Kindly note that in order to add items to a shopping list, a barcode has to be scanned under the shopping list. Just go to a shopping list –> open the Side bar (button in the top-right corner) –> Barcode icon. When you scan a barcode, it should be added to your shopping list.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

10. Stan says:

Is there a way to manually type in USP codes instead of scanning?
    Stan

Stan, unfortunately, no. It is only possible to scan barcodes in the app. We may consider adding manual UPC entry going forward.