Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Sync with Cloud

Introduction

This section describes how to establish grocery data syncing between devices using Cloud. By “Cloud” we understand Mighty Grocery server infrastructure designed to store and process app-related data.

Online access to shared shopping lists: My Mighty Grocery.

Getting Started

When you launch Mighty Grocery for the first time it will offer three options: Sign up, Sign in, Continue.

1. To create an account: tap Sign up > enter Email & Password > Confirm.
  2. To sign in to existing account: tap Sign in > enter Email (or Account ID) & password > Confirm.
  3. To continue using app locally without exchanging data with Cloud: tap Continue > the app will create a new local account for you.

It’s recommended to get devices in sync on the first launch of the app:

1. Sign up to MG account on one of your handsets to create an account.
  2. Sign in to the created account from all other devices.

Once you connected devices to Cloud, all your grocery data will be synced automatically between handsets, including Lists, Pick list, History, Recipes, etc.

Sync Existing Local Data

Sync local accountIf you choose “Continue” from the Welcome screen, a local account is created for you, and no data is sent to Cloud. You can start syncing your local account later following these steps:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts > your account > tap [Sync with Cloud].
  2. A new account will be created for you on Cloud.

If you already have an account on Cloud and would like to sync data with a new device, just Sign in to the account from Welcome screen on the new device.

If you got past the Welcome screen, there are two options:

1. You can Sign out from all accounts listed under Settings > Accounts. And then Sign in from Welcome screen.
  2. You can Sign in to the account under Settings > Accounts > Actions (3-dot button) > Sign in.

Sign Out from Account

To Sign out from account just go to Settings > Accounts > [your account] > Actions (3-dot button) > Sign out > choose No to keeping data on the device (unless you’d like to make a local copy of your data and create a new account from it) > Confirm.

The above sequence of actions will remove account’s data from your device, but account will remain on Cloud.

Restore Password

There are two options to restore your password:

1. If any of your devices is signed in to your account you can change it under Settings > Accounts > your account > Owner password.
  2. Otherwise you can restore password under Settings > Accounts > Actions (3-dot button) > Restore password > enter Email > Confirm.

Transfer Data from Old Device to a New One

Note: If you have a Full Version of Mighty Grocery you don’t need to pay for the app again when installing it on a new device. Just make sure you use the same Google Account with Google Play to download the app. For more details please see Google’s help. Just a reminder: if you purchased the app from Amazon Appstore you need to download Mighty Grocery from Amazon.

On your old device:

1. Make sure you device is running the latest version of Mighty Grocery.
  2. Make sure that you have account on Cloud and it is syncing normally. Just go to Settings > Accounts > your account > check that status is “Success”. If your account is local, please see Sync Existing Local Data.
  3. Make sure that entered Email is correct or tap [Email] field to make changes.
  4. Tap [Owner password] field > enter your password.

On your new device:

• Sign in to your account from Welcome screen. See Sign In to Account section for more details.

Account Settings

1. Edit Account SettingsAccount settings (such as Account label, Email, Password) can be changed under Settings > Accounts > your account.
  2. Account ID can be used to sign in to your account instead of Email.

Owner and Guest passwords

Your account can have Owner password and Guest password associated with it. If you created the account or used Owner password to sign in to your account, you are granted Owner access and you can make any changes to the account.

Users who sign in using Guest password are granted Guest access and are not allowed to change account Passwords, Email, and Account label.

Troubleshooting

If your devices do not sync, please check the following:

1. Your devices are running the latest version of Mighty Grocery available for download (currently 4.0+).
  2. Devices are signed in to the same account. You can check this by comparing Account Ids listed on the devices under Settings > Accounts.
  3. Sync status should be “Success”: check sync status under Settings > Accounts > your account.
  4. If this didn’t help, please email your Account IDs to hi@mightypocket.com with details about the issue so we could have a closer look.

List Sync Settings

List Sync Settings are accessible from Menu –> Settings –> List Sync.

1. Polling interval — number of seconds between sync attempts when shopping list screen is open.
  2. Idle polling interval — number of seconds between sync attempts when shopping list screen is closed.
  3. Sync status details — configures level of details of progress messages. Can be None, Simple, and Detailed.

Backup

Starting with Mighty Grocery 4.0 the app will store backups of your data on SD card only. If you’d like to keep your data safely on Cloud, make sure that syncing with Cloud is activated.

Backups can be created and restored under Settings > Backup.

Choose Create backup to initiate backup creation. Choose Restore backup to restore previously created backup in your app. Choose Share backup if you’d like to send one of backups from your SD card to someone else. 5 last backups are preserved and the app automatically creates backups every once in a while.

Note: Backups are stored on SD card in

• Full version: /sdcard/Android/backup/com.mightypocket.grocery.full/files
  • Free version: /sdcard/Android/backup/com.mightypocket.grocery/files

Privacy Policy

Please see our Privacy Policy.

199 Responses to Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Sync with Cloud

1. Charles says:

I plan on changing phone. My lists have been synced but I don’t think my recipes will be transferred. Can you confirm this?

Hi Charles,

Your recipes can be transfered to a new handset using the Backup feature. Even though recipes can not be synced instantly like shopping lists, the full backup will save and restore all your grocery data.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

• Dorothy says:

So this means only the master phone that does the auto backup to the cloud, should add recipes, if all phones want to share them? Otherwise, a restore to sync recipes on a non-master phone would overwrite any local recipe entries?

• Dorothy says:

Perhaps a useful suggestion would be to add the ability to add and maintain recipes via the web UI. In fact that would save a lot time since recipes can be complicated, and usually they have been found on the internet anyway so one could just cut and paste.

Dorothy, yes, all recipes should be added on the master phone and all recipes will be overwritten on secondary handsets. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are working on making it easier to modify recipes. Thanks for your feedback!

2. Patty says:

Installed on phone and nexus. Won’t sync. Noticed that the account numbers on each device but can’t delete. When I add the correct acct # treats me as guest. Help

In order to get your phones in sync, they need to be logged in to the same account. I’d recommend the following steps:

1. Decide which account you’d like to use in the future and delete another account from cloud. On your secondary handset, go to Menu –> Settings –> Accounts –> long-tap account –> Delete –> Delete from cloud.
      2. Make sure that primary device has only one account record under Accounts tab (this is going to be your account) and secondary handset has no accounts listed under Accounts tab.
      3. On secondary handset: under Accounts tab –> tap Plus button –> Log in to account –> enter Account ID and owner password –> Login.
      4. Restore backup and Pull lists from cloud.
      5. Now your devices should be in sync.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

3. wbmccarty says:

I’m having trouble creating additional new synced shopping lists. I push one to the cloud and all seems okay. But I push another list to the cloud and the first one disappears. It seems like there’s a limit of 10 shopping lists. At least, no matter what I do I can’t establish more than 10 lists and it’s always the last ten that show up in the cloud as available to be pulled down. Is it the case that there’s a limit of 10 lists or is there some other sort of problem?

Thanks for your question. Kindly note that there is no limit of the number of lists that can be pushed to cloud. Are you keeping all the list in the app after you push them to cloud?

• wbmccarty says:

Thanks, Alex. Yes, the lists are being kept in the app and appear on the All Lists page. If I edit one of them, it correctly indicates that it’s being synced.

The Accounts page reports that 14 of 14 lists are synced, just as it should. But after I push all the lists to the cloud only 10 of them can be pulled down, even on the same handset on which they were created and continue to reside. I double-checked that each list that apparently doesn’t make it to the cloud has its Sync List Via check box enabled. I don’t have any local/unsynced lists. The 14 lists that I want to push to the cloud are the only lists I have.

Just for fun I added another new list today, I set it to Sync and pushed it, along with the previously existing lists, to the cloud. Just as before, I can’t pull it down on any handset. The app is certainly working for me AS THOUGH only 10 lists can be put in the cloud.

What else can I check or try? Thanks so much for your help. That I’m trying to set up an 11th list and more should indicate to the curious that I find Mighty Grocer a VERY useful app. :-)

There is a chance that your lists are pushed to multiple accounts, so I’d recommend the following steps to make sure all your list are directed to one account:
      1. Create a backup. Just in case.
      2. Go to Menu –> Settings –> Accounts. Make sure there’s only one account listed.
      3. Open your account by tapping its record –> Cloud actions –> Delete lists –> select all lists –> Delete lists.
      4. Cloud actions –> Push lists –> select all lists –> Push lists.
      5. Check if all lists can be pulled from cloud and are available at https://my.mightygrocery.com.
      6. Make sure all your handsets are logged in to this account and there’s only one account record on each device.

If this does not help, please let me know your Account ID at hi@mightypocket.com so we could have a closer look.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

• wbmccarty says:

That nailed it. Thanks, Alex!

4. Christina says:

Is it possible to have separate price per unit for each list? For example, if milk costs 3.00 at Food City, but 3.40 at Wal-Mart, will the price and aisle be the same on both lists or will they be different depending which list you are using?

Christina, thanks for your question. Yes, unit price and aisle for each list is different. Changes to “Milk” at Food City will not affect “Milk” at Wal-Mart. However, whenever you make changes to your items in shopping list, changes are propagated to Favorites and then to Pick list. So if you’d like to keep unit price different for multiple shopping lists in the future, you will probably need to use List-specific favorites feature. It might be useful to have a look at Linked and Isolated changes as well.

5. Bill says:

I have created a new addition to my ‘Lists’ and have done a “Backup On Cloud” and a “Push List” but after each operation, my new addition to “Lists” do not show up when I log into the web site Might Grocery. What am I doing wrong?

HI Bill, thanks for contacting us. Do you mean that a newly created shopping list won’t appear on cloud automatically? That’s true, you need to push a new list so that it would be accessible on cloud. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

• Bill says:

I have not only gone into ‘My Account’ and selected ‘Cloud actions’ and then ‘Backup on Cloud’ but I have also selected ‘Push lists’ and the new list still does not show up when I log into the Mighty Grocert web site.

Bill, there are a few accounts linked to your email. So it may happen that you actually log in to account other than you push lists to. I’ll be contacting you via email to get this issue resolved.

6. Gregory Nash says:

I was planning to reset my phone to factory settings, so I paid for the full version of Mighty Grocery so that I could back up my information to your cloud. When I was doing the backup, it didn’t seem necessary for me to create a password. However, now that I’m trying to restore my information, it’s asking me for a password. How do I get my information back?

7. Miranda says:

is there a way to type the recipes on the on-line account and then push it to your phone? Or do you really have to use your phone to enter all the recipes?

Miranda, thanks for your question. Unfortunately, entering recipes is only available on your phone. We have plans to add this feature going forward. Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

8. Elaine says:

Hi. I understand the backing up into cloud. Is there a way of backing and restoring on my sd or as html doc so I can copy it to my PC? Thank you.

Hi Elaine, thanks for your question. Unfortunately, the only way to backup now is using cloud. We plan on adding other backup options going forward.

9. Ignacio says:

I really like this app, but we are 5 in my family and we take turns buying the stuff we need. So i was wondering if after i push a list to share with another user, can that user then push it to share it with another user? Or is there any way that more than 2 users can sync with the same lists?

Ignacio, thanks for your feedback and your question.

Kindly note that it is possible to share shopping lists with 5+ handsets. What you want to do is push a list from your primary phone and pull the list to all other phones. This establishes syncing between the handsets and any changes to the list on any device will be transferred to all other devices.

Please see Sync with cloud User’s Guide for more details.

10. Steve says:

This is a great app. We recently upgraded to the full version. If we have autosync on both our phones, when is a backup needed and what does it do vs just syncing with the cloud and each other on a regular basis?

Hi Steve, thanks for your feedback and your question.

Kindly note that List sync feature will only synchronize shared shopping lists between your phones. By using backup you can save all your grocery data on cloud such as history, recipes, product catalog, settings, etc. Backup feature comes helpful when anything goes wrong or phone gets lost.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.