Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Edit Item Details

Edit item screen enables modifications of item fields such as  quantity, units, price, aisle, discount, etc. To open this screen, tap on the right side of the row in current shopping list.

Any change to item fields can be reverted by tapping Undo button which appears on top of the screen after any change is made, or from Menu > Undo.

Item details can be changed with voice by tapping microphone button on top of the screen and then saying changes to be made, for instance “3 pounds” or “4 dollars 75 cents”.

It is also possible to assign barcode by tapping Barcode button and scanning a product barcode.

Please note that by default all changes to item fields are automatically propagated to items with the same name. Please see Linked and Isolated changes section below for more details.

Changing quantity, units and price

To change item quantity and price:

1. Tap on the right side of Qty/units area to choose measurement unit from configurable list. Or long-tap the same spot to enter any measurement unit as a plain text.
  2. Tap on the left side of Qty/units area to change item quantity.
  3. Tap increase/decrease buttons (above Qty/units area) to quickly adjust item quantity by configured increment. Long-tap increase or decrease button to set item-specific increment value.
  4. Tap unit price area to specify item price per unit. Total price will be calculated as Unit Price * Qty.
  5. Tap total price area to specify item total price. When you enter total price, unit price is calculated as Total price / Qty and then total price is re-evaluated to match Unit Price * Qty.

ATM option allows entering price without decimal point. I.e. instead of typing “1.23” you could just type “123”.

Note: Measurement Units can be configured in Units settings.

Move or Copy items to a different shopping list

To move an item to a different shopping list take the following steps:

1. Open Edit item screen by clicking on the right of an item in shopping list.
  2. Tap Shopping list field.
  3. Select Move to or Copy to
  4. Select shopping list you would like to move item to. Or you can select multiple destination lists for copy.
  5. The item is moved or copied to a selected shopping list(s).

Coupon / Discount

Coupon indicator feature enables two things. First, it is possible to specify discount value as either percent or fixed amount and get item’s total price adjusted by the discount. Second, in shopping list, item will have an icon indicating if it has a coupon.

Here how it works:

1. Tap Coupon / Discount field. Discount menu shows up.
  2. Choose discount type:
    1. Percent (unit price is reduced by given percent)
    2. Fixed amount (total price is reduced by coupon value)
    3. Amount per unit (unit price is reduced by coupon value)
    4. Sale price (unit price of item on sale)
    5. Simple indicator (just indicator, no discount amount)
    6. Buy 1 get X free
  3. Enter discount value when prompted.
  4. Tap Save.
  5. Now your item has a discount associated with it.
  6. When you tap Coupon / Discount field again, you will be offered to Set expiry date or Remove coupon.

Photos

If you’d like attach a photo to your item, just tap Photo button next to the comments field and choose Pick photo or Take photo. Pick photo allows you to select a photo from your photo gallery or from your SD Card. Take photo uses your handset’s camera to take a photo and then attach the photo to the item.

When a photo is attached to an item, tap the photo and you can View photo or do some changes. Pick photo or Take photo will replace existing photo with a new one. Clear photo removes the photo from the item.

NOTE: This is a Premium feature and it requires Mighty Grocery to be logged in to an account.

Price history

To see the history of item purchases, tap the Link button in the upper-left corner of the Edit Item Details screen and choose Price History.

Taxes

If you want to indicate that item is taxable, tap on tax field to show Tax value menu.

Tax rate values are specified in Menu > Settings > Options > Regional settings > Tax rates. Total price of an item is updated to reflect selected tax rate.

You can also long-tap tax field to enter any specific tax value for this item or choose Edit option from the Tax value menu.

Choose Set as default to assign current tax value as default to all new items.

Linked and Isolated changes

By default, all items with the same name are linked and any changes in shopping list will propagate to Favorites and Pick list, also any changes in Favorites will propagate to Pick list. This means that any change to name, quantity, price, aisle are propagated to all items with the same name following this route: Shopping lists –> Favorites –> Pick list. Changes in Pick list won’t propagate to Favorites or Shopping lists.

In case you would like to unlink items to provide isolated changes, tap the Link button in the upper-left corner of Edit Item tab and choose Unlink.

Note: these are new propagation rules effective since Mighty Grocery v.1.1

105 Responses to Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Edit Item Details

1. Jenny says:

I would like to be able to keep up with prices of items that are differently priced at different stores. For instance, a gallon of milk at Aldi may be $1.99 while that gallon of milk is $3.29 at Wal-Mart and $3.49 at Bi-Lo. However, I am unable to mark the price of milk as different on the different store lists without the program “correcting” the price on each list. Is there a solution?

Hi Jenny, thanks for your question. Are you using the latest version of Mighty Grocery 3.0? Changing price in one list should not affect price in other lists.

2. casey says:

Will this application allow more than one coupon to be applied per item? For instance, Walgreens will offer a $4 store coupon on razor blades and then the manufacturer will also offer a $5. You are allowed to use both coupons but is there a way to enter them separately into the application. I know I can do the math myself but the coupons have different expiration dates and frankly I just don’t like math.

Hi Casey, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, adding multiple coupons for an item is not available yet. We plan on adding this feature going forward.

3. MrB says:

I notice inconsisteny with respect to user experinece when they click the middle of a row on an item. In the Option settings i have ‘Edit details’ when a user ‘clicks in middle of a row’. But in a store’s Favorite list wheni click middle of a row it adds the item to the store’s shopping list when it fact i wish to edit the item (i no long tapping will do this too). But on a grocery list when i click the middle of a row it opens the edit menu as i expect. I think clicking the middle of an item in the Favorite list should behave in the same way as per the ‘Edit Details’ option setting.

4. Ngozi says:

I recently bought the paid version of your app and I must commend you on what a great app you have made! It is my absolute favorite and most used app on my new Android phone. I was wondering when I set the tax rate for a new item to “default” why does it set it to 0% taxes? I did enter taxes as 6% in Menu > Settings > Options > Regional settings > Tax rates. My question is how do i change the tax default from 0% to 6%?

Hi Ngozi, thanks for your feedback!

To set default Tax rate of 6%, just set tax rate of any item to 6% then tap Tax field and tap “Set as default”. This will set default tax rate to 6% for all new items.

5. MrB says:

Hello

Suggestion for Coupon Expiry: Once the coupon expiry date is exceeded the application should automatically delete the coupon/discount and revert back to regular price. If it doesn’t the item with the expired coupon continues to show up as the Best Price in a price comparison. Plus the red bubble indicating the coupon exists (but has expired) becomes meaningless and serves as a distraction. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. We plan to deactivate expired coupons going forward when we introduce improvements to the Coupon feature.

6. KB says:

Situation, when I use the “mic” feature it applies the price to the name of the item. IE:
    When I say “Milk, One Gallon, 4.63 cents” it will put “Milk 4.63″ in the Name of the item. Please advise, Thanks in advance!

7. Melanie says:

Hi sorry, I am inundating you with questions. I started setting Mighty Grocery Lite up up and to test whether this system was what I was after or not (which it is by the way lol), I threw a whole heap of items into the favourites list before editing them. I then went ahead and made A LOT of edits in the pick list. I finally glanced at the favourites list and realised the changes to aisle etc hadn’t propogated across (finally read above after going nuts and realised there is a flow system of what happens first duh!! Should have read this first aye). Anyway rather than reloading all the data into my favourites items so they match the pick list I was wondering if there was an easy way of quickly clearing all items out my favourites list and starting afresh. I planned on removing all items from my favourites, finishing all my edits in the pick list and then throwing them back over to the favourites list for future edits. I know I can unlink then delete items individually from favourites without it affecting the pick list but that is going to be a time consuming job.

Melanie, you can delete all items in a list under Menu > Delete all. To quickly add items from Pick list, just go to Pick list and select destination list or favorite list on the top. Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

8. lp says:

What is the best way to track price for a box of 650g of a product.(because a product may comes in multiple format)

As of today we can enter only 1 box in unit

So my request would be to allow us to enter 1 box/650g OR 1 650g set the price and let the application calculate price/unit. In this example $/100g

Grocery start using 5 for 3.00$ for fruits. I would like to enter this instead of having to calculate. Same for cereal they offer 2 box of 500g for 6.99. I would like the application do the math for me.

HI there! Thanks for your questions.

Kindly note that it will be possible to enter package size for price compare in the next update. Keep your eye on the What’s new page for the news.

As for entering 5 / $3 type of prices, just enter “5” in Qty field and tap “Total price” field and enter 3. The app will compute Unit price automatically. For cereal, enter Qty = 2, Units = boxes and Total price = 6.99. Hopefully this helps.

9. Tom says:

Mighty Grocery is such a great app. I made the purchase to the full version last week. When I first used the barcode in the item editing screen, it worked great. Today, when I use it, mighty grocery asks me to install a barcode app! What’s changed? Is there a built in barcode reader? Thanks

10. Kathy says:

Hello – I’m learning to use the app and think it’s great, but I’m having trouble finding out if there is a way to separate the discount from the coupon. I’m guessing I just can’t find it here.n some instances taxes are charged differently on discounts versus coupons. I have tried changing units, etc but that is not solving the problem. Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Kathy, unfortunately there can be only one discount option — discount or coupon. However, it is possible to change taxing behavior. Just add a coupon or discount and tap Coupon/discount field again. One of the options is “Apply tax before discount”. Hopefully this helps.