Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Pick list

Pick list (or Product Catalog) is the place where all your products are kept for future use. Once you add an item to a shopping list, it automatically goes to the Pick list.

Using Pick list

To change current shopping list use shopping list selector on the top of the screen. It is also possible to add items from Pick list to Favorites by choosing Favorites in the shopping list selector.

Once products are available in your Product Catalog, they can be added to the selected shopping list directly from Pick list screen by tapping a record or by using Plus button on top of the shopping list screen.

Configure Pick list

Mighty Grocery app comes with predefined catalog which can be customized to your needs. To customize Pick list, please see Configure Pick list User’s Guide.

If you’d like to configure your Product Catalog, go to Menu > Settings > Pick list or tap Gears button on top of the Pick list screen.

Aisles in Pick list are sorted according to Aisle configuration of the current shopping list. It can be changed under Gears button > Aisles.

Visibility

Pick list tab only contains visible products. Also, when you press Plus button in a shopping list, the app shows you visible products from the Pick list.

Product is visible if “Show in Search and Pick list” option set to ON for both this product and its aisle to which it belongs.

However, Configure Pick list tab will contain all items, including invisible. Invisible items will be striked out in Pick Settings tab.

Advanced

If you don’t want items to be added to you Product Catalog automatically, set Menu > Settings > Options > Advanced > Automatic picks option to OFF.

90 Responses to Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Pick list

1. Amy says:

New user, love the interface so far! I’ve managed to change the aisle names to numbers, and have imported my grocery list from another program. Import went smoothly, and all my items are there in the Pick List, sorted by Aisle. The way I like to use a shopping database is to have my list sorted alphabetically by item name when I’m home checking off what I need, then sort it by aisle number when I get to the store. Is there a way to have the Pick List sorted by item name?

Hi Amy, thank you for your feedback and your question.

Unfortunately, there is no convenient way to do what you describe yet. However, we have Pantry app/feature planned later this year which may come handy to manage your stock and organize products to how you keep them at home.

2. Phil Herman says:

Apparent Bug: When in (All) Pick List, if I touch an item it is selected (as it’s should). However, if I accidentally touched it, and then touch it again to un-select it, the item disappears from the Pick List. I can get it back by doing an “Un-do”, but then the item appears twice, and I have to delete one of them.

Not a Bug, but a request: When editing items in the pick list, would it be possible to return to the same place in the list after finishing the item edit?

Hi Phil, thank you for your feedback.

Though it seems confusing, the first part of the described behavior works as designed. When you uncheck an item in pick list which only exists in the current list, it will get removed. It’s because a new item from shopping list will be reflected in “Automatic picks” section of Pick list configuration until the item present on the list or history. Some more details are available in Settings User’s Guide.

As to the second part, unfortunately the item won’t get duplicated after Undo for me so I would appreciate if you could suggest steps to reproduce the issue starting with creating a new item.

Thanks for suggesting another pick list improvement. As a side note, I would recommend using Settings –> Pick list –> My Picks to manage your new products.

3. Alexey says:

Hello. Have been using your program for some time (full version) and quite like it, but there are few moments that I can’t figure out.
    My goal is to create particular “my pick lists” for few shops. Let’s say shop A and shop B. I want to add the same item to each shop list with particular price. For example, bananas in shop A cost 5$ and in shop B 4$.
    At first I go to “Aisles” and make shop A and shop B lists customized. I copy few aisles from “AnyList'” and through editing I put parent for each aisle to blank. Then I go to “My picks”, choose Shop A and try to add an item. If i type bananas it goes to all lists. Few times I managed to make independent items per a list, but I couldn’t get the point how they are managed. It is mystery for me. Could you please clarify?
    And why in a pick list I cant change “shopping list” in edit mode?

Also Russian translation of the program interface is highly expected by many people.

Thank you in advance!

• Alexey says:

I’ve added two identical items with different prices to shop A Picks and Any List Picks. Though I still don’t follow the logic. Now I go to the List and select Shop A List. I press add and find bananas. And it adds bananas but with the price of AnyShop picks, not Shop A! What am I doing wrong?

Hi Alexey, thank you for your feedback and your considerations.

Unfortunately, as of today, the app would normally expect only one record of “bananas” in the Pick list, that’s why the may incorrectly pick up row from the different store. Until we introduce a better model, you may want to create two slightly different records i.e. “Bananas 1″, “Bananas 2″.

The other solution would be to unlink Bananas record which will allow different prices/aisles for items with the same name. More details are available in Linked and Isolated changes in User’s Guide.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

• Alexey says:

Thank you for reply.
        With use of unlinking it let me add the same name to different shopping list, but as I wrote when I go to lists and add the item bananas it picks it from wrong pick list.
        It’s a bit messy with same names, hope it will be fixed someday. So far I’d be better off not renaming them into bananas 1 and bananas 2 in different pick lists, but creating only one pick list (AnyList) with 2 different items: bananas shop A, and bananas shop B. But of cause the ideal situation would be the same name in 2 different pick lists. Keep fingers crossed it will be available in further versions. Thank you.

Alexey, thanks again for your feedback. Hopefully, the Pick list changes will be introduced soon.

4. Keith says:

Hi Alex
    It’s nice to finally find a shopping app the makes shopping easy (and is as good as the one i have on my PDA)
    A small thought about pick lists, the aisles option is grest when in store but when at home using pick lists, could there be a second aisles option for each item that is only used by aisles, and may be favorites,. This would let items be show by the cupboard they are stored in such as cupboard 1, fridge, freezer or bathroom

• Keith says:

Sorry miss-type should have said pick list and favorites

Hi Keith, thank you for your feedback and your suggestion.

I guess the best solution for you would be a sort of pantry/inventory management app which would track your items at home. We have such an app in our 2011 plans, so hopefully it will match your request.

5. ali says:

Hi,
    I am wondering if there is a way to make the pick list shopping list-specific. For example, bananas can be purchased in different amounts for different prices at 2 different stores. I would like store A’s pick list to contain only store A’s bananas at store A’s banana price. And so on, for store B? Is there a way to do this?

Ali, thank you for your question.

Technically, yes, it is possible to organize list-specific pick list. Though, it is designed for cases when two lists have totally different set of products and aisles. To do that, just go to Menu -> Settings -> Aisles. Then click Customize and select a list to customize aisles for. Then delete all aisles copied from Any List configuration to start from scratch and add aisles you want for a new list. After these manipulations, the second list may have a totally different set of products.

However, from your example it sounds like you need Price Comparison feature which may be planned later this year. Hopefully it will also allow pulling prices from local stores and/or share pricing information with people in your neighborhood.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

6. Robin says:

I am running your app on my android phone and I love it but I can’t figure out how to get the tax to be included I have the % put in the settings but it doesn’t compute the amount?

Hi Robin, thank you for your feedback and your question.

By default, tax rate won’t be applied to items. To include tax in item total price, open Item Edit Details and click the Tax field to iterate through available tax rates. Long-press to provide individual tax rate for an item.

Please have a look at the following illustration.

7. Achim says:

Hi,

I think I like your App quite a bit. Just one question:
    How do I add a new item if one with the same name already exists?
    Example: I want to add pears but this item already exists as fruit but I want to add it as canned item. But I could not figure out how. Because everytime I enter pears in the search box the application offers the already existing item.
    Isn’t there a add button or something like this?

Best
    Achim

Hi, Achim. Thank you for the question and feedback!

Well, if I get your question right, you just need to continue typing in the search box, say “Pears Canned”. The app will offer you to create a new item with the name you provided. Though it will be addressed in “Other” aisle initially, you can change it to whatever aisle you want. Kindly notice that a new item will be now available via search/pick with the aisle of your choice.

8. Steve says:

Hello Alex,

Love the app!!! Was wondering if there is a way to keep the pricing information on an item when you un-pick that item? When I pick the item again it does not keep the previous pricing info.

Hi, Steve. Thanks for the question and feedback!

Unfortunately, keeping pricing information in Pick list is missing from the app yet. However we’ve got it on the future plan list under “Save item changes to Pick list” feature.

9. Judy says:

I spent hours adding custom ailes and some of the new ones will not show up in the pick list. Can you help me get them to appear? Thx.

Sure. Lets get it sorted out.

First of all, do you have any items in new aisles? Aisles with no items won’t show up in Pick list.

• Judy says:

Thanks so much! That was the problem. I could not find where I posted this question so I sent an email. Please ignore. Love the app especially now that you solved this mystery!

10. Michael Hoffmann says:

How do you add a grocery item?

Michael, thank you for your question.

I just have updated this help page to address your question. Please let me know if any extra details are required.