Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Settings

Settings screen offers the following configuration areas:

Options

Mighty Grocery offers a bunch configuration options which allow customize application to your taste. To open Options screen, tap Menu button of your phone and choose Settings > Options.

Text size

Small / Medium / Large.

Sort options

The sort options are:

• Group by aisles
  • Sort by name
  • Move checked items to the bottom – Configures whether items will be moved below cart separator in the bottom of the shopping list when item is checked, i.e. placed in cart.

Show checkboxes

Shows or hides checkboxes on the left of items in shopping list.

Cross out checked items

Configures whether shopping list items are crossed-out when checked, i.e. placed in cart.

Details mode

Activates or deactivates Details mode. In details mode when you add an item, Item Details activity will instantly appear to allow you change quantity/units/price without any extra clicks.

Item tap action

Configures application behavior in response to tapping in the central area of shopping list item row. Available options:

1. None — nothing happens on single-tap.
  2. Cross out — item is placed in cart with single-tap.
  3. Edit details — Edit details screen shows up on single-tap.
  4. Long-tap cross out — i) nothing happens if item single-tapped in central area; ii) item is placed in cart if row is long-tapped; iii) popup menu shows up if item is long-tapped on the right side of the row (spot with (>) sign or with price/quantity info).

Disable screen lock

If activated, the phone screen will remain active and will not get locked when phone’s Off button is pressed. Both changes affect List and Favorites tabs.

Warning: This option should be used with caution to not allow unauthorized access to your phone.

Disable screen rotation

If activated, shopping list screen won’t change if phone is rotated. This is convenient during shopping to prevent screen from flickering.

Show Ads

Full version only: allows turning off ads in the app.

Regional settings

Tax rates

Configures a set of tax rates which can be used in Edit Item Details screen. Tax rates is a plain text field which should contain number(s) only. Use line break to add several options.

Sample: if you’d like to have three options such as i) no tax; ii) 13%; iii)7.25% use the following value for Tax rates option:

7.25

Currency formatting

Specifies formatting mask for amount field in case standard currency format is not suitable. “%” can be used as placeholder for number. Leave this option blank to use currency formatting from your phone settings.

Sample: To configure currency format as 12.34 USD use the following option value:

% USD

Advanced options

Long-tap checkout

Configures whether Checkout button requires single- or long-tap in order to move items from cart to history. Used to prevent accidental checkouts.

Show subtotal summary

If set to ON, will provide summary with subtotal such as:

Subtotal: $12.34, taxes: $0.56
Total: 4 items, $12.90

If set to OFF, will provide “Remaining” and “Cart” totals:

List: 3 items, $11.65
Cart:  4 items, $12.90

Show full comments

If set to ON, will show full item comment in shopping list. If set to OFF, only yellow mark will be shown in the upper-left corner of an item with comment.

Hide 1 each

Configures if quantity of item should be shown if it equals 1 each. If option is ON and item quantity is 1 each, it will be replaced with (>) icon.

Full screen shake

If activated, it will be possible to have more effective space in shopping list by shaking your phone. When phone is shaken, Tab bar and Toolbar are hidden thus allowing more items into the screen. Shake again to bring Tab bar and Toolbar back.

Automatic picks

If activated (default), any item added to a shopping list or history will also be added to Pick list. Therefore item can be reused next time you need to add it to a shopping list.

Auto confirm voice

If this option is Yes, then you will not be requested to confirm after you add items. Though this might be challenging since voice recognition might involve errors.
If this option is No and you add an item using voice, all other items will be hidden and you will be prompted to confirm the latest item added.

Auto confirm manual

Same as for confirming voice items, but item confirmation will be required for items added using keypad and touch screen.

Auto confirm Barcodes

If activated, scanning barcode in shopping list will add a new item without opening Edit Barcode screen.

Speech recognition

Specifies parameters for speech recognition feature such as

• Currencies — comma-separated list of words which will be considered as currency name
  • Cents — comma-separated list of words which will be considered as indicator of fractions of price amount.
  • Articles — comma-separated list of words which will be considered as “1 ea”.
  • Prepositions — comma-separated prepositions which follow units and therefore ignored.

Speech recognition parameters can be reverted to default values with Reset option.

Send usage scenario

Sends email to Mighty Pocket Team which contains information useful for debugging application issues. Please add your description to explain what exactly needs to be fixed/improved.

Configure Pick list

Pick list configuration is available under Menu > Settings > Pick list or by clicking Gears button on Pick list screen.

For your convenience product catalog is split into following categories and you can filter by them in Side Menu > Sort and Filter:

1. Predefined catalog – product items delivered with app or imported using standard or custom catalogs
  2. Automatic picks – product items created from shopping lists, history, etc.
  3. My picks – product items added manually.

Import product catalog (experimental)

1. Tap Side Menu > Sort and filter > choose Predefined Catalog. This step is required so that imported items would end up in Predefined Catalog category.
  2. Tap Side Menu > Delete Presets if you would like to remove existing non-used products. Otherwise you may skip this step.
  3. Tap Side Menu > Import.
  4. Select a language for import.

Import custom product catalog (experimental)

If you choose to import Custom product catalog, you will be prompted to paste CSV-formatted text like the following

Aisle,Name,Details

Example:

Canned Goods,Carrots,Canned
Canned Goods,Cherries,Canned

Since you don’t want to manually input text into the box, the better way is to open a file and copy its text beforehand. For instance, the file can be transferred via USB to your SD card and then opened on the phone. Or the file can be sent to your phone as an email attachment.

One of the scenarios to import custom catalog:

1. Prepare a file with each product in a new line and formatted as Aisle,Name,Details.
  2. Give your file the .txt extension which is more likely to get opened by one of the text editing apps on your phone.
  3. Send the file as attachment via email and open the message with your email client on your phone.
  4. Open attached file with text editing app on your phone.
  5. Long-press the text and select Copy All.
  6. Open Mighty Grocery and go to Pick list –> Menu –> Import –> Custom.
  7. Long-press the text field (see illustration above)
  8. Tap Paste.
  9. Tap Save.

Full list of supported columns:

• Aisle,Name,Details,Comments,Quantity,Units,UnitPrice,TotalPrice

Units

Configurable measurement units to add/change/hide measurement units and provide desirable increase/decrease rate.

Go to Settings –> Units and adjust units to your needs.

If you need to reset Units configuration or populate units of different language, tap Reset and choose desired language.

Configure Tabs

Configurable tabs feature allows showing & hiding tabs in the Tab Bar on top of the screen. Go to Menu –> Settings –> Configure tabs. And set check against the tabs you want to be visible on top of your main screen.

By the way, long-tapping the Tab Bar will show the list of all available tabs, thus making it easy to navigate to any tab of the app.

141 Responses to Mighty Grocery Shopping List: Settings

1. Tom says:

Is it possible to set a tax rate for a specific group of items all at once? In North Carlolina, there are different rates depending on what the item is. It would be much easier to multi-select a group of items and make them a specific tax rate instead of doing it individually for each item you have in your list.

Hi Tom, thanks for your suggestion. We may consider adding different tax rates going forward. In the meantime you can set a certain tax rate as default by tapping tax field and selecting “Set as default”. This might be helpful if you add items with the same tax rate one after another.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions.

2. Gia says:

I just downloaded this app so far I like it but I was wondering if there was anyway to sync your recipe ingredients to your shopping list. Is that even possible?

3. Maggie Flynn says:

Is there a way to automatically have taxes added when adding an item? Our taxes here are 9% one everything, food included, and having to add taxes is one more unneeded step. Other than that, I love the app, especially the coupons and experiation dates.

Hi Maggie, thank you for your question.

Yes, in the new version 1.2 it is possible to set any tax rate as default. Set the tax field of any item to the value you want, and then choose “Set as default” in popup menu which shows up when you tap the Tax field. This option works for all new items. You will need to change the tax rate for existing items though.

4. Bernd Bergner says:

Hi Alex,
    i created my own product catalogue via the import feature and now i would like to transfer all my products into the favourites. Do i have a mass operation for selecting all products?

Best regards
    Bernd

Hi Bernd, thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, there is no way to add multiple items from Pick list to Favorites. We didn’t expect anyone will add all the items from Pick list to any list. Will consider this going forward.

5. Jon says:

I have the full version of Mighty Grocery and downloaded An app to print wireless to my printer (hp ) . I would like the option of printing the picklist but when I go to print it indicates no data found . can you add an option to save to PDF? I can print PDFs easily and they are much more accessible then sending email which I need to receive before I can print it.

Hi Jon, thank you for your suggestion. We may consider adding print option going forward. In the meantime you may want to try printing shopping lists from My Mighty Grocery site.

6. Larry says:

Would it be possible to be able to select the recipes module directly from the home screen? Right now, I have to select an option first and then select recipes from the tab bar. This is not a great hassle, but it would be nice to br able to do. If there is a setting to enabe this, I haven’t found it yet, but I’ll keep looking.

Hi Larry, thank you for your question.

Yes, it is possible to select Recipes on the home screen. Just slide the 2nd button to the left a few times to select the Recipes option. See Home Screen User’s Guide for more details.

7. trish says:

I am having issues with the units in recipes. I am trying to figure out how to use teaspoons/tablespoons. For example
    1/2 teaspoon. I use cups too. How do you configure units for cups?

Hi there, thanks for your question.

Kindly note that we plan supporting fractional quantities going forward. For now, I’d recommend using decimal numbers such as 0.5, 0.25, etc.

As for configuring units, I’d recommend seeing Settings User’s Guide.

8. Phil Rose says:

Hi. When I start up the app nowadays it always starts on the annoying intro page. It used to go straight to my shopping list which is what I would prefer. I can’t find a setting for this. Can you help? Thanks.

9. Toby White-Beebe says:

Was really loving the advanced features within the Full Version -UNTIL- I had to do a Master Reboot on my phone because it was confused with reality. Yours, as well as, all of my other Paid programs allow the function of moving everything to the SD card. They all have some sort of, recognizable database file & the ability to export to it & import from it. In this case, after the master reset, then restoring all of the files back to the SD card, “I lost all of my items that had barcodes & pricing”.. almost 2 months of focused effort. :-(( You & I have talked about your Beta import scheme with me telling you that 3 col’s are not enough to define your data, especially when there is no export scheme to know how it is even laid out. Very saddened by the losses & it’s time to go shopping again.

Hi Toby, thanks for your feedback.

I am really sorry that your data got lost. Kindly note there is a backup feature in Mighty Grocery which allows saving all your data, including product catalog, barcodes scans, etc. I’d recommend creating backups often to keep you grocery data safe.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. We are going to introduce backup reminders soon.

10. John says:

Having a bit of a struggle with Qty after reading the above still. Is it me, or is the ‘.’ missing in order to enter Qty such as ‘.5′ kg?

So tonight for the first test run of the app, I see asparagus on sale at $5.47/kg ( I live in a tourist town!). So if I place .5kg in my cart, I assume I should edit the Qty first to the actual amount I just placed in the cart. I can’t seem to figure out how to do that.

• John says:

Disregard, it turns out that the keypad was defaulting to ‘Big Buttons’ keypad, and it does not show the ‘.’. When I changed the default keypad to Samsung, I finally got the ‘.’. I thought it was real weird that you would not give a decimal place, so that’s why in fact I went to investigate it further. SO there’s a head’s up for anyone that useds ‘Big Buttons’ keypad.

Thanks.

John, kindly note that any non-digit symbol works as decimal separator in Mighty Grocery for usage convenience.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions.